Man electrocuted on high-tension pole in Bayelsa - NEWS FRONTIER DAILY


Saturday, May 18, 2024

Man electrocuted on high-tension pole in Bayelsa

A man, simply identified as Amas, was reportedly electrocuted, Friday evening, while working on a high tension pole at the Ekeki suburb of Yenagoa, Bayelsa State.

The tragic incident occured near the Ekeki Police Station along Azikoro Road in the heart of the state capital.

It was learned that the deceased, a father of two and non staff of the Port Harcourt Electricity Distribution Company, who lives in the neighbourhood was on the pole to connect clients to the Federal line when tragedy struck.

Residents of the area told newsmen that due to the poor power supply in the state, most people preferred the federal line which has assurance of 12 to 13 hours power supply daily.

The deceased, who hailed from Nembe Local Government Area of the state, was said to have been stuck on the pole for hours before his lifeless body was retrieved.

An eyewitness, who identified himself as Michael Orubo, described the deceased as an easy going person who does electrical work to cater for his family.

His words, "Amas lives on our street and he does most of the connection work in this area, why has death come to him in such a way. He just left us where we were playing chess game, and said he was coming back but never returned.

"He was easy going, who will care for the two kids he has left behind. The monies he gets from this electric connections is what he manages to feed his family with. What manner of death is this, someone we were with throughout this period of rain, so he left to fix the connection immediately after the rain."

Another eyewitness said: "He just passed me not more than five minutes, immediately after the rain stopped. The next thing I heard people screaming, we rushed to the scene of the incident but we couldn't help it, because he was wearing a belt so it held him tight to the pole, there was nothing the people could do because we were all scared and it was still raining."

Worker from Port Harcourt Electricity Distribution Company later came and removed the lifeless body after hanging on the pole for hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment