OOU students loss property to fire incident - NEWS FRONTIER DAILY


Monday, November 27, 2023

OOU students loss property to fire incident

No fewer than 10 students of the Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye, lost their valuables in a fire incident that razed a private hostel at Funmidara Cokers Street, Ijebu-Igbo in Ijebu North Local Government area of Ogun State.

The incident was said to have occurred last week Tuesday due power surge, destroyed the victims' clothes, books, credentials, among other things.

Meanwhile, the State government, during a visit to the affected students assured them that government would provide relief materials for them as a way of mitigating their losses.

Speaking on behalf of the State government, the State Commissioner for Community Development and Cooperatives, Alhaji Ademola Balogun said he was in the area to assess the level of damage done by the fire incident, adding that the present administration in the State would continue to respond to the plight of the people where necessary, noting that the wellbeing of students remained paramount to the government.

He urged the students to remain calm and be law-abiding, affirming that the government had reached out to the university authority to work out modalities on how it could help to replace the certificates and other vital documents that were consumed by the fire incident.

Balogun said, “the present administration is known for its love and dedication to youth welfare, we promise to provide relief materials and temporary accommodation for the affected students pending the time the building will be fixed. I want to thank God that no life was lost in the incident.’’

Speaking during the visit, the Chairman of Ijebu North Local Government, Bolaji Odusanya, lauded the prompt intervention and support of the state government, noting that prompt response from the fire service helped to avert severe damage that could have happened.


No comments:

Post a Comment